Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Preserving the harvest: Jams





I have already made two different jams/jellies this summer.  The blueberry jelly was my first one and raspberry jam was the other one.  We bought a bushel of peaches and they needed to get used fast.  I remember my mom making peach freezer jam when I was little.  I don't have any room in my freezer so I made some that I could can. 

Here it is while it was cooking.



The end result it looks so pretty and it tastes pretty yummy as well. Here is the recipe and directions that I used.

2 quarts crushed, peeled peaches
1/2c water
6c sugar

Sterilize canning jars (boil in water for 10mins).  Combine peaches and water; cook gently 10 minutes.  Add sugar; slowly bring to boiling, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.  Cook rapidly until thick, about 15 minutes; stir frequently to prevent sticking.  Pour hot jams into hot jars, leaving 1/4in headspace.  Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.  Process 5 mins in a boiling water bath.
If you want to make spiced peach jam tie 1 teaspoon whole cloves, 1 stick cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice in a cheesecloth and add to the jam during cooking.  Remove spice bag before pouring hot jam into hot jars.  Process as directed for peach jam.




HookingupwithHoH Somewhat Simple

1 comment:

  1. Come share your yummy stuff at Mason Jar mania!
    http://aletteredlife.blogspot.com/2011/09/come-party-with-uslinky-style.html

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you please leave a comment!!