We seem to always have a problem of where to put our remotes. Kind of out of frustration of them not having a place I used a crate that we had laying around from buying some oranges and put them in there then it sat like this for a few months. My husband and I both liked having the crate but I needed it to be a bit nicer looking and without glue on the sides.
So first things first I used a flat head screwdriver and peeled the glue off of both sides of the crate. I did manage to put quite a few dents in the sides and scraped some skin off of my fingers but it came off. I'm sure there was a much easier way to do that but that is what I went it.
Then I sanded the sides down a little bit to make it look not so beat up.
I didn't want it a dark brown nor did I want to sit around and stain it, what I ended up doing was mixing some white paint into the brown I had then painted it on both sides.
Next was stenciling the word remotes on each side.
It feels so much better to me when I walk by this now (which is a million times a day)