Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Felt Scarves

Did you see my Christmas present from my husband?  If not check it out here he did some amazing work on it.



Today I want to share with you a scarf that I saw somewhere on the internet and the price was much more then I wanted to pay and I figured I could do something similar for a fraction of the price.  This is what I came up with. 
 






They are really easy and all you need is a 1/2 yard of felt, thread that matches the felt, a needle and scissors.  For this particular scarf I think that I did 13 flowers, you can do how many you want to create the desired length.  I usually do about 13-14 for adults, the one that I made for my daughter I think that I did 9 or 10.


For this scarf I cut the number of flowers I was making in 4 different sizes of circles.  I didn't measure or made sure that each circle was a true circle.  When I had one of each size circle cut I used that as a "pattern" for the rest of the circles.  If you are going to put beads in the middle like I did then only cut out four sizes otherwise cut out five circles.




 Here are my circles.



 Next I cut each circle to have wavy edges.  I didn't worry about it being perfect since flowers aren't always perfect and are individually different anyways.

 After all the circles have wavy edges.  Thread your needle and tie a knot at the end of the string.  Then grab a circle of each size (4 layers if you have cut out five its okay hold onto the smallest one for a bit later) and stack them then I folded it in half.


 Then run the needle through the middle making sure it goes through all the layers.

 Then pull the needle through and go through the same direction that you went through previously and pull the thread tight.
 If you were to open the flower it would look like this.


So open the flower and fold it in half the other direction and repeat the same process before.
 
 After I completed that I tied it tight but DON'T cut the thread just yet.


 Open the flower up and stick the needle through the middle and add your beads.  I did the beads individually just so then I could place them a bit more securely. Then I tied it off on the back and cut the thread.


 One completed flower now only 12 more to go.  Repeat the same process for each flower.



 Now if you aren't going to do beads this is where you will use your fifth circle.  I folded it into quarters.

 Then I sewed it into the middle of the flower and tied it off in the back.



When I completed a flower I would attach it to another completed one.  I sewed them together where the other petals would cover the sewing.

 When I first started making the scarves I would sew them onto a piece of felt the length of the scarf.  But I have decided I prefer the look and would rather just sew the flowers together.
 This scarf is with the backing.



 Here is one I made for my sister. 

This one I gave to my daughter's teacher for Christmas.
Lil\'Luna

3 comments:

  1. This turned out so cute! I'm a huge fan of scarves. Pinning for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really pretty, such a fun a unique idea. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cute! I like the pink and brown one best, and the beads are a great touch :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you please leave a comment!!