Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Matching Sister Dresses!! From one shirt and a yard of Fabric



 I'm so excited about this project.  My daughters are 5 1/2 years apart and I wanted them to have matching dresses for awhile.  I had been looking and couldn't find any since they are so different in sizes.  I decided to make them myself.  I used a t-shirt from the dollar store and a yard of fabric.






To do the top part of the dresses I used the same method as here.  For the baby one I did the same idea but had to cut a neckline and sleeves.




 When I sewed the sleeves onto the shirt part of the dress I laid out the fabric I had decided the length I wanted it (I did 22") and cut across the entire width of the fabric and then cut down the fold as well creating to parts.

I basted the top of the fabric width wise to create a ruffle effect and made it fit to the width of the shirt part, I pinned it to the shirt and sewed it on.  I repeated the process for the back of the dress.  I then sewed the sides together for the dress going from the edge of the sleeves clear down to the bottom of the skirt.  Then all I had to do was hem it.

I did add a little bit of the flowers to the top of the dress for my older daughter and added a bit of a scrunch in the front of the baby's dress.  Otherwise the process was pretty much the same.  Instead of hemming the sleeves and the neckline for the baby's dress I added a binding.






Somewhat Simple
craftionary


More the Merrier Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you please leave a comment!!