Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hemming Jeans

A friend of mine asked me last week if I could hem her jeans for her.  I have always wanted to try making a hem look professional and this was my first attempt.  I'm too lazy to do my own but after this I think that I might do a pair or two.  It was really easy actually.
The first thing that we did was with her wearing the pants we marked where she wanted them.  I pinned them the whole way around its not really needed, on the back of the leg is the best place to mark.



I then measured the original hem on the jeans and doubled what that was and marked where that was from the fold that I made for the new length of the jeans.

I then measured from the bottom of the pants to the line that I made and used that measurement and marked all around the leg.  I did that so then it would for sure be all the same length.  Then cut off the material using the markings as a guide.

Then using what the hem length was I folded over and pinned each leg, then I ironed it to make sure it was as flat as possible.

Using the same measurement I folded over and pinned each leg a second time and again ironed the leg.

Using a needle for jean material and matching thread to the jeans, I went around each leg twice one right over the other to make the thread look thicker and more like the original hem.


 There you have it an original looking hem on a new or old pair of jeans.  It was a lot easier then I thought it would be, try it out.
Photobucket
HookingupwithHoH Somewhat Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you please leave a comment!!