Monday, November 27, 2017

Magic Christmas Blanket

I am so excited to share this with you.  I made it last year but between kids being sick for two months straight and some unexpected health issues with me I wasn't ever able to post this. So I'm making sure that I do it early this year.  

Growing up my Aunt made us a Christmas blanket, it has since then been nicknamed the magic Christmas blanket because you get under it and you fall asleep its so comfy and cozy.  We would fight over it every year as to who gets to have the first nap under it.  I have wanted one of my own for years, and finally after getting enough pictures of one of my parents sending us pictures of them being the first one getting the nap since no one lives at home anymore.  I decided I was going to make my own.  I asked Mom for the measurements of hers and went to the fabric store.

This is what I picked up, 1/4 yard of seven different Christmas fabric and then a yard of white Christmas fabric that was going to be my borders.  Now the big thing about this blanket is that it isn't very wide but it is heavy.  So when buy batting get the thick fluffy kind.

After cutting the blocks and strips of fabric I then sewed everything together.  I had some gingerbread fabric that I have had for years laying around that I used for my backing.  Here is the top of the blanket before I sewed/quilted it together.  I sewed trees down each of the vertical stripes to hold everything together and sewed on a binding. 
 Here is the back of the blanket.


The final product!!! My kids are loving snuggling under it and its just as warm and heavy as the one that my Aunt made for us many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you please leave a comment!!