Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Preserving the Harvest: Strawberry Jam


This last week strawberries were $1.50 a pound and considering that I didn't get to see that low of a price last year and where gas prices are heading I figure this was the only time that I was going to see them this low, so I bought enough to make strawberry jam.  I'm sorry that you can see the flash in the middle of the jar it was the best picture that I had of it and there is not really a yellowish\orangeish spot in the middle of the jam.  Here is what I did.


I washed and cut up 4lbs of strawberries and smashed them to get around 8 cups.

Then I transferred the crushed strawberries to a pot and added 6cups of sugar.  I then slowly brought it to a boil then cooked it until it got thick.  This took about 40minutes.

Then I poured it into hot jars and processed in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.

I made one batch and it made 7 half-pint jars.


Strawberry Jam

2quarts crushed strawberries
6cups sugar

Sterilize canning jars.  Combine berries and sugar; bring slowly to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar dissolves.  Cook rapidly until thick, about 40 minutes.  As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking.  Pour hot jam into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.  Wipe jar rims and adjust lids.  Process 5 minutes in a Boiling Water Bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you please leave a comment!!